Mercury Rising 鳯女

Politics, life, and other things that matter

This is a public announcement (Murdoch phone hacking update)

Posted by Charles II on August 30, 2011

I just like the title (“This is a public announcement”), since it’s how perhaps the stupidest advertisement on TV–one that plays over and over on Countdown– starts. Presumably it is intended to imply that it is a public service announcement, which it definitely is not. But just the raw stupidity of saying on television, “This is a public announcement” appeals to something in me.

Anyway, phone hacking, which seems to have announcements in the same level of stupidity. James Robinson, The Guardian:

The names of several News of the World journalists who ordered a private detective to hack into mobile phones belonging to six public figures will not be publicly disclosed after Scotland Yard intervened to prevent their publication.

The names were passed to Steve Coogan on Friday by Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator who worked for the paper, in compliance with a high court order the actor obtained earlier this year.

The names are critical to the phone-hacking investigation because they could show how far the practice was widespread at the paper, which was closed down by Rupert Murdoch last month, despite consistent denials from its owner News Group Newspapers. Coogan is one of several celebrities suing the paper for breach of privacy.

Similar high court orders have contained restrictions on publishing the names of News of the World journalists on the grounds that doing so could compromise Operation Wheeting, Scotland Yard’s ongoing investigation into phone hacking, by tipping off potential suspects.

Haven’t the suspects been pretty well tipped by a deluge of publicity?

Polly Curtis, The Guardian:

The Conservative party will not face an official inquiry into allegations that it broke electoral law by failing to declare News International’s payments to its former head of communications, Andy Coulson, after the elections watchdog concluded that there was insufficient evidence of a breach.

The Electoral Commission had been asked to investigate a series of payments amounting to a six-figure sum made to Coulson by News International in the months after he arrived at Conservative campaign headquarters in 2007, as well as a company car and health insurance he received for three years.

The Electoral Commission said there was no evidence that the payments related to his political activity with the Conservative party in any way.

He’s being paid, by a newspaper which is corrupting the government, to serve in that government, and there’s no evidence of a connection?

James Robinson, The Guardian:

Stuart Kuttner, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was taken into police custody for a second time on Tuesday, Sky News reported.

It is understood that the 71-year-old, who was arrested earlier this month, was answering police bail.

Kuttner was taken into custody by the Metropolitan police on 2 August. It is thought he was orginally arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and on suspicion of corruption contrary to the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906. He was bailed until the end of the month.

Why Kuttner was re-arrested is unclear.

About these ads

2 Responses to “This is a public announcement (Murdoch phone hacking update)”

  1. Phoenix Woman said

    It will be instructive to see just how far the Murdoch rot permeated various institutions in the UK and US.

  2. Charles II said

    See Schadenfreude, Bill O’Reilly edition for the latest.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: