Mercury Rising 鳯女

Politics, life, and other things that matter

Archive for March 7th, 2009

The Alzheimer’s effect and Rush Limbaugh

Posted by Charles II on March 7, 2009

Gallup did a poll on Limbaugh’s favorability in 2009 and compared it to 2003. Nothing really surprising… a scary number of people, mostly Republicans, like him. But what’s really striking is that the number of people who have no clue who he is has roughly doubled.

limbaugh2009

limbaugh2006

Since we know his audience is the older demographic, that raises the question of whether he’s drifting off into irrelevance, or whether listening to him causes senility.

Which reminds me of the joke where a sports reporter is interviewing a player who has been having a bad season, and he asks him, “Your coach says he’s not sure whether your performance problem is due to ignorance or apathy. What do you say to that?” And the player responded, “Well, I don’t know and I don’t care!”

Posted in Rush Limbaugh | Comments Off on The Alzheimer’s effect and Rush Limbaugh

Joseph Stalin lives. His name is Karl Rove.

Posted by Charles II on March 7, 2009

Via Larisa Alexandrovna, a documentary on the extent of the politicization of the justice system under Karl Rove. Watch this (it’s a three part series) and tell me that we should not despair about the corruption of the courts:

link

According to this documentary, there are hundreds of cases like Don Siegelman’s.

Posted in Department of Injustice, Don Siegelman, Karl Rove | Comments Off on Joseph Stalin lives. His name is Karl Rove.

Q: When is a tax cut for 98 percent of taxpayers portrayed as a tax increase?

Posted by Phoenix Woman on March 7, 2009

A: When some of the small handful of people whose taxes will go up happen to control the nation’s news media.

Last week, President Obama unveiled a budget outline that extends the Bush tax cuts for all but the top two percent of taxpayers and makes permanent a tax credit of up to $800 for low- and middle-income workers that was included in the recent stimulus package, among other tax cuts.

On the other hand, individual taxpayers with taxable income above $200,000 ($250,000 for families) per year would pay more in taxes under Obama’s plan, under which the tax rates paid on income in the top brackets would revert to their levels under President Clinton in the 1990s — from 33 and 35 percent to 36 and 39.6 percent. Slate.com’s Daniel Gross estimates that for someone with $350,000 in income, this will amount to about $1,500 a year in increased taxes.

So: Obama’s plan cuts taxes for the vast majority of Americans, while raising them for the small number of people who make more than $200,000.

But the media, eager to hype their bogus “war on the wealthy” storyline, have portrayed it as a tax increase.

The Washington Post was the worst offender: 484 words of its 1,284-word article on the Obama plan were devoted to the tax hikes that will incur on the richest 2%, and only 37 words were devoted to the tax cuts for the other 98% of Americans. But other papers and media outlets were nearly as bad.

Posted in (Rich) Taxpayers League, 111th Congress, budget, GOP/Media Complex, media, Media machine, mediawhores, President Obama | Comments Off on Q: When is a tax cut for 98 percent of taxpayers portrayed as a tax increase?

 
%d bloggers like this: