Mercury Rising 鳯女

Politics, life, and other things that matter

St. Louis Cops Invaded Coffeeshop, Then Teargassed Peaceful #Ferguson Protesters

Posted by Phoenix Woman on November 27, 2014

Yet another story that you will never, ever hear about in American mainstream media:

Police deployed in riot gear fired tear gas directly at a coffee shop in St. Louis early in the morning on Tuesday.

The scene unfolded just hours after an announcement by St. Louis County prosecutor, Robert McCulloch, that a grand jury had found no “probable cause” to indict white Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson for killing an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, on August 9.

Rachel O’Leary, who is the Deputy Executive Director for Field Organizing for Amnesty International USA, was in MoKaBe’s Coffeehouse in the Shaw neighborhood with some members of a delegation of human rights observers. About 1 am—or just after—tear gas was fired.

“We noticed police behaving strangely,” O’Leary recalled. “They were squatting down in a group, and we couldn’t figure out what was happening. We were watching this out the window.”

A couple of people ran around the corner “from off of Grand” and a “militarized vehicle” followed quickly behind them. The vehicle shot a projectile at people who were running. The police then “turned their guns,” which had tear gas canisters, and “fired directly on the coffee shop,” according to O’Leary.

When the protesters who could still walk came out to yell at the cops for teargassing them, the cops teargassed them a second time.

Oh, yeah: There were children inside, as Amnesty International (which has observers on the ground there, including the coffeeshop) noted.


One Response to “St. Louis Cops Invaded Coffeeshop, Then Teargassed Peaceful #Ferguson Protesters”

  1. Charles II said

    The Prosecuting Attorney, McCulloch, figured the absurd verdict would be buried in news about the inevitable riot, and news about police abuses would be buried in the Thanksgiving holiday. A sick man.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.